Updated 24 July 2019
Baywave Scheduled Aquatic Closure (from 24 June 2019)
What’s Happening Here?
Everything you need to know - can be found here, or you can download our explanatory PDF by clicking here
1. Maintenance Closure (this happens every 3-4 years)
This closure provides us with the opportunity to give the facility a full clean – this means everything from the areas that our customers see, through to the plant room, filters and into the nooks and crannies of the pools themselves.
2. Remedial Works
With the Aquatic Centre being closed, we are taking the opportunity to undertake remedial works that have been identified over the past three years as needing our attention. To date, we have undertaken some of these, but we need the full closure to be in place to undertake more major parts of the work.
3. Dial up the Fun – Dial up the Functionality
In response to customer feedback, we are investing in new play activities (including a new splash pad) and we’re going to enhance the hydroslide experience. Over and above this, we’re focused on enhancing your experience with new spectator seating, new change rooms and an improved outdoor seating area.
Summary of works
Here's what's happening during the closure.
- Lighting in hydroslide
- Splash pad play area
- Additional seating/viewing
- Additional changing rooms
- Re-grouting of lap pool
- Painting of reception area
- Upgraded outdoor area
- New lockers
- Painting changing rooms
- Re-surfacing beach
- Lane rope holders to allow access past swim lessons
What we'll be doing
||Full facility clean plus filter check and clean, plant work, re-grouting of lap pool, tile replacement in all pools plus scheduled budgeted renewals.
Entrance mural update.
||There are four key parts to this work stream. These are:
- Re-lining Baywave’s production bore.
- Replacing some windows due to weather tightness issues.
- Strengthening the hydro-slide stair platform.
- Crack injection repair work on the concrete tank and pre-cast panels on the building’s exterior.
- Putting in place an aqua play splash pad including tipping bucket, water slides, fountains and jets.
- Upgrading the existing hydroslide with lighting effects and changing the exit.
- Outdoor fenced area upgraded.
- Reconfigure lane space in wave pool.
- Pirate ship viewing platform.
- Add more spectator seating.
- Additional family / private changing rooms.
What does the delayed reopening mean for you?
- Your free swimming access is still available at Greerton and Otumoetai during the Baywave closure within the normal terms and conditions.
- Term three at Baywave has been delayed. We will notify customers as soon as possible with confirmation of opening date.
- There will be no AquaFit classes at Baywave until we can confirm when the leisure pool will re-open.
- Classes will be available at the Mount Hot Pools and Greerton Aquatic & Leisure Centre.
- AquaFit participants with Baywave memberships will be able to access classes at the Mount Hot Pools and Greerton venues within the same terms of their Baywave membership.
- AquaFit participants with Baywave visit passes will be able to access classes at both of these venues.
- There will be no aqua jogging classes available between 24th June and 4th August.
Some squad bookings are moving to Memorial Pool during the Baywave closure. Please speak with your coach to see what is happening with your training sessions.
Keep active at our other Bay Venues aquatic facilities. You can find all options on this website.
Clubfit will still operate as normal during the closure period although the spa pool,
sauna and steamroom will be closed. We will notify customers as soon as possible
with confirmation of opening date.
During the closure Clubfit members can access the Mount Hot Pools within the
normal terms and conditions of their membership.
The Poolside Cafe will operate on reduced opening hours between 24th June and 21st July. We will be open from 9am till 1pm Monday to Friday, but closed over the weekends.
Baywave Early Childhood Centre
Our Baywave Early Childhood Centre will still operate as normal during the closure although our children will not be taking part in swimming lessons during this time.
- Aquatic members can suspend their memberships for the closure period. Note that if your membership is suspended it cannot be used at any other venue during the suspension period.
- To suspend please complete a suspension form by clicking here or contact us at Baywave reception.
- During the closure, Baywave aquatic members can access the Mount Hot Pools within the normal terms and conditions of their membership.
- Baywave visit pass holders will be able to access the Mount Hot Pools during the closure.
Why are you doing this work now?
The maintenance work is scheduled for every three to four years, and generally takes three to four weeks to complete. The closure is always set for a time that causes minimal disruption to our customers. There is never a good time, but there’s always a best time and it’s for this reason that a start date of late June has been chosen.
Is the facility safe?
Yes, Baywave continues to be a safe recreational facility. The building meets safety criteria and it is fit for purpose. The remedial works we are doing are necessary so that important issues do not get any worse.
What to look for:
When you come on site during the closure period, please look for signs to guide you safely to your destination.
For more information call us on 577 8550 or email email@example.com